Further to the formal notice of a casual vacancy existing for a Parish Councillor for the Parish of Weeley (WPC). The required number of requests from electors were not received. The Council now needs to fill the casual vacancy via a process of co-option.
It is intended to co-opt a suitable person to fill this vacancy of the next Parish Council meeting on Monday 18 September 2023. If you are interested in this role and you satisfy the eligibility criteria set out below, you will need to complete and return an application form by 11 September 2023. Application forms are available from the Parish Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility of Candidates WPC is able to consider any person to fill a vacancy provided that:
• He/she is an elector for the parish;
• has resided in the parish for the past twelve months or rented/tenanted land or other premises in the parish; or
• had his/her principal place of work in the parish; or
• has lived within three miles (direct) of the parish. There are certain disqualification's for election, of which the main are (see 5. 80 of the Local Government Act 1972):
• holding a paid office under the local authority;
• having been sentenced to a term of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) of not less than three months, without the option of a fine during the five years preceding the election; and
• being disqualified under any enactment relating to corrupt or illegal practices. Candidates found to be offering inducements of any kind will be disqualified.